I don't have a dramatic story to share about William's arrival. The experience however, was still one of the best moments of my life.
After Bella was late, I pretty much had in my head that William would also be late and just prayed it would not be TOO much later. He was due on Valentine's Day, February 14.
On February 5, Bella and I went to the zoo and out for lunch with a friend. I walked all around the zoo! That would end up being our last play date as 2.
On February 6, I went and got my hair cut and then ran some errands by myself! I will admit I was SLIGHTLY suspicious because William had definitely dropped. I never noticed Bella dropping, but the fact that I could suddenly breath again was a good indication he had dropped.
After dinner, I stood up and...my water broke! Yes, even though they say something like only in 10% of births does your water break before you go into labor, I have been 2/2. I went in to the bathroom followed by 3.5 year old Bella. I told her to go tell daddy my water broke (so far I haven't sensed any permanent damage from this request). Mike told me I probably wasn't in labor because it was too early. But a phone call to my Dr and our parents, and it was TIME.
Just to add a bit of drama, at that time our church met at a university and we were completely set up/ tear down. I had all the craft and snack supplies for all of the children and was scheduled to coordinate with my 2 regular back-ups both out of town. I had assured them I probably wouldn't be early, but we did put a plan in place just in case. So I moved everything to the middle of our living room and called my friend, Kate. (same one who helped with my book, what a friend!). She had the keys to our house (I had wizened up since last time). And called another friend to tell her she was on for the morning at church!
Because I had a natural birth with Bella, I figured I would try again. Kate and Ryan actually came to hang out with us for a while in the hospital too. I remember at 11pm I started begging for an epidural. Kate asked me, "Is this worse than with Bella?" It actually wasn't!! But I was picturing the next 8 or so hours of this and didn't think I could do it.
By 11:45pm I had the epidural.
By 12:45am I was at 10cm and ready to push. They hadn't even called the Dr!
At 1:35am the Dr came, and by 1:40, William Asher was born with just 2 pushes!
It is the most amazing feeling wondering what your precious baby will look like, and what it will feel like to cuddle with him, and then he is here. Time seems to stop, but you know you will always look back and wish you could be in that moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment